Public Health Information
Are you buying a house in Topsfield, or do you have questions about your septic system?
The Topsfield Board of Health maintains current files on each residence in town. These
files are available for public review during office hours. The Health Agent, John Coulon, is
available to answer questions and offer assistance during drop in hours Tuesday and
Wednesday from 9 - 12 or by appointment Monday - Friday 8 - 4. The office is staffed
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 8 - 1; Tuesday 8 - 12.
NEWS, HEALTH ALERTS AND rECALLS
Sheryl Knutsen Named Topsfield Board of Health Chair
Sheryl Knutsen MSN, RN, PHCNS-BC, a 37-year resident of Topsfield,
and a 12-year member of the Topsfield Board of Health, is a Registered
Nurse and is certified by the ANCC (American Nurses Credentialing
Center) as a Public/Community Health Clinical Nurse Specialist. Ms.
Knutsen currently serves as the Public Health Emergency Preparedness
Planner for the Region 3A-Northeast Public Health Coalition, fourteen
communities including Topsfield. In 2015, she was selected as a Fellow
by the Local Public Health Institute of Massachusetts.
Smoking Cessation: There is help! Click on the following link
to the Mass. Department of Public Health Smoking Cessation Website:
Public Health News and Articles from Medscape news and other
KINSHIP CARE FAMILIES Across the country, millions of grandparents and other
relatives have stepped forward to care for children whose parents are unable
or unwilling to raise them. Click on this link for more information (PDF).
MEDICAL MARIJUANA ARTICLES:
_To Stop Lyme Disease, Vaccinate - Mice?
- News from Mass Medical Society Vital Signs About Medical Marijuana
- Tanning Bed Ultraviolet Light Leads to Increase in Skin Cancer
- Indoor Tanning: Young Women Not Heeding The Warnings
- Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Care Act
- Emergency Preparedness Checklist
- USGS Scientific Study of Arsenic and Uranium in Bedrock Wells
- Information about Radon
Important Articles from Medscape News and other Publications
Articles on Breast Implants from Medscape News (pdfs)
- Do Breast Implants Affect Breast Cancer Survival?
- Breast Implants: View from the FDA
- Breast Cancer and Cosmetic Implants: The Plastic Surgeon's Perspective
- A Surgical Oncologist's Take
- Breast Implants Linked to Poorer Survival from Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves New Silicone Implant
Articles on Women's Health:
Other Helpful Articles from Medscape News (pdfs)
- New Article from FDA: Protect Yourself From Tick-Borne Illness
For more information on Tick-Borne Illness, see Tick Borne Disease below.
- Healthy Lifestyle Leads to Better Memory
- Quick Walks After Meals More Beneficial Than Once-Daily Longer Walk
Articles About Fish Oil (pdfs)
- General Information on Fish Oil
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEMJ) Study on Effects of Fish Oil on Cardiovascular Patients
Cancer News (pdfs)
Lung Cancer News
Prostate Cancer News
- Treating Prostate Cancer Causes Functional Declines
- Post-Cancer Tx Side Effects Study
- Post Prostatectomy Radiation Tied to Urinary Incontinence
- Occult Mixups Occur In About 1 in 100 Prostate Cancer Biopsies
- $32 Million: Cost of Overtreatment
- "Choosing Wisely" Campaign
- Comparing New Drugs in Treating Prostate Cancer
- Without PSA Testing, What Could Happen?
- PSA Screening Rate Drops After Major Trial Results Released
- Prostate Cancers Plunged After USPSTF Guidance
- Update on Prostate Cancer Screening Guidelines
Women's Cancer News (pdfs)
- Should States Be Setting Policy for Breast Screening Notification?
- Dense Breast Notification Laws
- Study Shows Pros and Cons of Dense Breast Notification Laws
- Ultrasound a Viable Screening Option
- Hormone Replacement - Timing is Everything
- Screenings Can Help Detect Cervical Cancer
- 1.3 Million Overdiagnosed in 30 Years
- Screening Mammography and Overdiagnosis
- Task Force Statement May Be Deterring Women from Mammography
- UK Panel: Breast Screening Saves Lives But At A Cost
- Benefits and Harms of Detecting Clinically Occult Breast Cancer
Medscape News Articles on Compounding Pharmacies (pdfs)
- Pharmacy Compounding Primer - Prescriber Beware
- Who Regulates Compounding Pharmacies?
- Regulating Compounding Pharmacies - What do Pharmacists Think?
- US Regulator Needs New Authority Over Compounding Pharmacies
Regarding Generic Versus Brand Name Drugs (pdfs)
- Brand Vs Generic; Are Patients Affected?
- Generic Anti Seizure Drugs Similar to Brand Names
- Brand Versus Generics; The Saga Continues
- Pharmacist's Liability
Regarding Adults (pdfs)
- Hip Replacement Worth The Cost According to Study
- Tattoo Regret
- FDA Tips on Tattoo Removal
- FDA Says Don't Double Up On Acetaminophen
- Are You Fit?
- Increase in Suicides at Holidays a Myth
- NYC Ban Effective in Reducing Use of Trans Fatty Acids
Regarding Children (pdfs)
- No Evidence Multiple Vaccines Raise Autism Risk According to CDC
- Emergency Room Visits For Children with Sports Injuries Waning
- New Position on Sports Related Concussion
- Thimerosol for Vaccines: AAP Endorses World Health Organization
- Thimerosol For Vaccines: AAP Endorses WHO Statement
- FDA Bans BPA in Baby Bottles
- Should You Put Sunscreen on Infants?
Helpful Information Regarding Mammograms (pdfs)
- Task Force Statement May be Deterring Women from Mammogram
- Screening and Overdiagnoisis of Breast Cancer
- An Equalizer For One Racial Disparity in Breast Cancer
- Ultrasound Viable Screening Option for Breast Cancer
- MRI for Breast Cancer Screening
- 3D Mammogram Use Ups Detection - Lowers False Recall
Other News (pdfs)
- Choosing Wisely Campaign Targets Dubious Tests and Therapies
- Myths About Weight Loss
- Sexual Orientation Victimization Subject of New CDC Report
- Lyme Disease Ticks Endemic in Northeast, Northern Midwest
- 1,000 Food Borne Disease Outbreaks in a Year
- New US Food Safety Rules Aim For More Accountability
Topsfield Regional Medical Reserve Corps
TICK BORNE DISEASE
- The links below provide additional information from the official website of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Frequently Asked Questions about Lyme Disease
- Tick Repellent (pdf)
- Babesiosis (pdf)
- Lyme (pdf)
- Anaplasmosis (Human Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis) (pdf)
Mosquito Control and Related Health Concerns
Please see the Topsfield Board of Health Mosquito Page for more information.
- Northeast MA Mosquito Control & Wetlands Management District
- Recreational Activities and Risk of Mosquito Borne Diseases Information (pdf)
- Nine Mosquito Myths Debunked (pdf)
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis Public Health Fact Sheet
- West Nile Virus Public Health Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Arbovirus Information from the CDC
- Mosquito Repellents (pdf)